Sunday, January 30, 2011

More Work....

I organized a volunteer event yesterday for a team of KP employees. All week I was thinking, I am never doing this again. People just don't want to spend their time this way. We all have lives and we don't want to do this kind of thing on our time off. Its so hard to get people to show up on a Saturday for a volunteer event. When I got there, I was reminded why I do this.

Schools have a pretty tight budget. They just don't have the money to hire the help needed for maintenance. We got to these schools and there was SOOO much work to be done. The outside of them...weeds growing rapidly. Grass growing out of control. There was just so much that needed to be done. Our team of 12 did such an awesome job. Especially when we got to the 2nd site, I just looked around in awe at what needed to be done. It reminded me of an abaandoned house that the weeds had just gone wild. It was soooo bad! Our team manhandled it! We all dove in on one of the planters and in 4 hours had completed both sites. I gotta admit.... it was shocking. And I remembered why we do what we do!

The most awesome thing is... I got some networking in and I believe I will be making a trip to Mississippi to volunteer in April. WHAOOO!!!! I'm so freakin excited!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes I still have the other house and my red car. I'm crazy I know :) I have the Jeep for the winter and the convertible for the summer.